Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Humbled

Yesterday, I had one of the most moving experiences since being diagnosed.

The Dublin Education Association held a teacher appreciation event at the Embassy Suites. The head of the union asked me to speak on behalf of the Board. To be honest, I thought the event was next week, so I had yet to prepare any sort of speech. Around 3:45, I found out that the event was to start at 4:30. Needless to say, I did not have much preparation.

When I showed up at the event, I naturally received glances from folks. After I was elected, people seemed to start looking at me with a little bit more curiosity. Now, after my diagnosis, it seems even more so. During the social hour, I talked with some of my former teachers as well as teachers who wanted to chat. I know I sound like a broken record, but the support is just overwhelming.

Anyways, once the ceremony began, I was the second person to speak. Before I approached the podium, one of my former teachers, Karen Harriman, introduced me to the crowd. Just to give you a little background- Mrs. Harriman was my Young Professionals Academy teacher. I took YPA my senior year, and as a result, I interned in Governor Taft's office. Nonetheless, she gave a very gracious speech regarding my development and accomplishments.

As I approached the podium, I had a good idea of the text of my speech, but I decided to go the impromptu route (not that I had a choice at this point!). First, I thanked the teachers on behalf of the Board. I noted that they are the people doing the real work of the district. They are the ones working with our students on a daily basis. Without effective teachers, our district would not be one of the best in the state. As a Board Member, they make my job so much easier. Then, I shifted the speech to the fact that I am a product of our system. I noted that I would not be where I am now without the help of my teachers from K-12. Lastly, I told the teachers that the lessons they teach about academic subjects are extremely important to the development of our students. But, even more important than the subjects, they are preparing their students for life. They are preparing their students for the good times and the bad times. They are preparing their students to overcome challenges. Finally, I ended by saying that the lessons from my teachers are helping me overcome my current health challenges.

To be honest, I became a little choked up towards the end of the speech. I did not see the tears coming. But, I must say that my words came from the heart. I hope that the teachers were able to get something from my message. They teach so much more than what a student reads in a book.

As I walked back towards my table, I received a loud applause. When I started to sit in my seat, I noticed people start to stand up towards the back of the room. Before I knew it, the whole room was giving me a standing ovation. It lasted for a good couple of minutes.

I do not know how to describe the emotions of the moment. I was amazed. I was humbled. I was grateful. While I have only lived twenty-two years, I do not know that many more moments like that will come along in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home