Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Good People

Good news. My port checked out clean. However, it was easier said than done.

Dr. Paul checked out my surface infection. Right now, he believes that my body has simply rejected some of the sutures. I forget if I mentioned this earlier, but several times I have had small pieces of suture come out of the incision area. Anyways, as long as the infection does not get wider, I should be set. If for some reason it does get wider, we will first go to an antibiotic. As a last resort, we will go into surgery.

After looking at the infection, Dr. Paul moved on to my port. Rightly so, my mom was insistent on getting his blessing for the port before it was used again. In order to get this blessing, he had to ensure that the port could flush out. So, he took out a set of supplies and got to work. I laid down and looked way. He inserted a needle into my port and went to work. Everything checked out fine. Afterwards, I mentioned to my mom that the insertion of the needle hurt worse than usual. She laughed and said that the needle looked bigger than usual. Makes sense.

I love my surgeon, Dr. Paul Strahdata (I need to get the correct spelling for his last name.) When going through any medical process, it is important to have a positive, caring staff taking care of you. Dr. Paul epitomizes these characteristics. His smile and positive attitude keeps a situation at ease. At the same time, he does an excellent job explaining medical procedures and situations. I am thankful that there are smart people like Dr. Paul to care of people like me!

When I got home from my doctor's appointment, I ate some lunch and took a nap. In the middle of my nap, my mom woke me up with a phone call from my little brother Cory, who is in Florida on a high school baseball trip. He told me one of the classiest stories I have ever heard about a pro-athlete.

Today, the team had an off-day, so Cory and my dad met up with my grandparents to watch an Cleveland Indians' spring training game. After the game, they went out to eat at restaurant near the park. They were seated at a table in the back corner of the restaurant. As they were finishing their meal, a large man with a goatee walked up to their table. At first, the man asked everyone about their meal, so my dad thought that he was a manager from the restaurant. However, he soon pointed to my dad's shirt and asked if they were Indians fans. (My dad was wearing a Wickman's Warriors T-Shirt. Bob Wickman is a famous pitcher for the Indians. The t-shirts have been sold with all profits going to Cleveland Indians charities.) So, at this point, my dad is sitting there dumbfounded and stunned. Soon, he realizes that the man is Bob Wickman! The conversation continues for a few minutes. Bob goes on to thank them for their support of the charity and wishes them a good day. Before leaving the restaurant, Cory approached Bob about getting a picture. As you can assume, Bob put his arm around Cory, and my dad took the picture.

Now, let me put this into perspective. Again, they were sitting in the back corner of the restaurant. They were not clearly visible. My dad still does not know how Bob saw his shirt. He thinks that he either saw it through the window as he walked to the front door of the restaurant or when going to the bathroom. Either way, what a class act. I cannot think of too many professional athletes who would go up to a table of fans and thank them for their support. A lesson for us all: never forget the people who have helped you get where you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home