Tuesday, March 21, 2006

It's a Beautiful Ride

I am ready to get knocked down again for a few days. While these extra days off are relaxing, I know that sitting idle does not get me any closer to beating this disease. My patience is not wearing thin, but I am excited to get round two finished. Hook me up and let's get this show on the road. If it were not for a school board meeting, I would be heading to the doctor's tomorrow for treatment. O well, a day can wait at this point.

Again, let me reiterate that I am truly thankful for all the cards, emails, phone calls, and visits. I do not mean to lessen my gratitude to people if I do not mention them in the course of my writing. With that said, I had a visit today from one of my old middle school and high school friends, Sarah Cowen. She is just one of those people who can brighten up the room with her smile and personality. Life has not been particularly sunny or exciting lately, so her visit was well timed! We have talked over the phone and through AOL, but it had been awhile since we last saw each other. Over the course of an hour or so, we were able to catch up on life.

Today, I received an email from a mother with children at a Pickerington elementary school. Over the past two years, she has followed the stories about me through the Dispatch and local news channels. She is organizing a Commit to Be Fit/Mini Relay for Life at their school for May 12th. The school will have activities all day for the students as well as stations where they will be learning about cancer awareness and prevention. All money raised will be going towards the American Cancer Society. On April 19th, I will be speaking at the kickoff assembly at the school. Then, on May 12th, I will be speaking at the opening ceremonies as well taking the "survivor first lap" around the track. (Although, I won't technically be a survivor at that point!) ... I decided to be open about my situation, so that I could help at events such as this one in Pickerington.

A couple days ago, I heard a new country song entitled "Life Ain't Always Beautiful" by Gary Allan. A little less than two years ago, Gary's wife committed suicide leaving behind him and their children. Since that time, he has written a couple of songs relating to her passing. More than anything, the song relates to the ups and downs of life. Below, I pulled the lyrics that I am able to identify with at this time in my life. (In the song, he goes on to detail missing her.)

Life ain't always beautiful
Sometimes its just plain hard
Life can knock you down, it can break your heart

Life ain't always beautiful
You think you're on your way
And its just a dead road at the end of the day

But the struggle makes you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has it's own way of taking its sweet time

No, life ain't always beautiful
Tears will fall sometimes
Life ain't always beautiful
But it's a beautiful ride

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home