Friday, March 10, 2006

Today was a Good Day

Over the past five days, my writing has decreased. I can only attribute this reason to the fact that I have been feeling much better. Instead of laying in bed, I have been attending meetings and coaching baseball. While my energy level is not at full strength, I am still able to function at a level that allows me to regain a sense of normalcy in life.

Yesterday, I woke just before 9:00. Earlier in the week, I received a phone call from an editor at the Columbus Monthly Magazine. She asked about setting up a time to interview me this week, so we arranged a meeting at Cairbou Coffee in Worthington. From 10:00 to 11:30, we discussed a number of different issues ranging from my time on the school board to my cancer diagnosis. Over the next few weeks, she and a photographer will be following me at different meetings or events.

After the meeting, I spent an hour at Jerome High School talking with teachers and administrators. This gave me the opportunity to catch up with former teachers and principals. In particular, I had the chance to speak with Mr. Morris, my high school government teacher. Since graduating, we have stayed in touch. Shortly after visiting Jerome, I went to our school district's administrative offices for a series of meetings. I know that I need to pace myself with this treatment, but I enjoy the chance to just get out of the house. I do not want people think that I am dormant and quarantined to my bedroom all the time.

Lastly, I attended baseball practice from 6:00 to 8:00. For the most part, I sat in the chair and coached the pitchers. I felt well enough to be more active, but by this point in the day, I had already pushed my body to it's furthest point since the chemotherapy treatment. Still, by the end of the practice, I could not resist taking the catcher's glove from one of the other coaches. Despite his offering, I caught the last pitcher of the evening. What a great feeling.

Today, I spent most of my time on the phone working on school board issues. I did not have a reason to leave the house- with the exception of a lunch meeting. Although I was not particularly active, I felt the best I have felt since my chemotherapy treatment. I am hoping to string a few days like this in a row!

Next week, I am meeting with two folks from the American Cancer Society. One of the ladies happens to be neighbors with my friend and former board member, Tom Fries. After reading about my story in the newspaper, she contacted me about helping further my goal to raise cancer awareness, prevention, and support. Specifically, she mentioned ways that we could work together to further the cause of the organization's "Relay for Life" in Dublin. I do not have many details at this point, but I look forward to the meeting next week. I will keep everyone updated.

Lately, I have been rereading the Book of James. As applicable, I am going to refer to passages in the following days. Today, I specifically want to discuss James 4:13-17. James tells us, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'"

Once I won my seat on the school board, I already started hearing the question, "What are you going to run for next?" Questions like this one have continued over the past couple of years. Naturally, I guess some people develop expectations. Despite my success, I try my best to focus at the task at hand and approach life day by day. I would attribute a part of this to my nature and a part of it to my faith. Then again, maybe the two are one and of the same.

More than ever, I know that tomorrow is the unknown. Life can change at the blink of an eye. Before this diagnosis, I probably would have just called that sentence a cliche, but now, I have experienced it. I am living it. I know how it feels to live a normal life one day and wake up the next to hear life altering news.

What does tomorrow bring? What is my purpose in life? I do not know, but if it is the Lord's will, I will be there to live it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home