Monday, March 06, 2006

Shot in Life

Over the past couple of days, I have been pretty lifeless. As a result, writing has not been at the top of my to-do list. Lately, my biggest battles have been bouts with fatigue, burning in my mouth, and stomach pains. My condition is far better than a few days ago but still far from ideal.

I am afraid to weigh myself. At the beginning of this process, I thought the decrease in my weight was humorous. Now, I actually need to start taking some concern. Before Hodgkin's Disease, I was already pretty skinny. Occasionally, people would joke about my frame. Now, I am hearing comments more and more often. Time to pack on the calories...

Over a week ago, I first saw television coverage about an inspiring high school basketball story out of New Jersey. At the age of 2, Jason Mcelwain was diagnosed with autism. As an underclassmen, he tried out, but did not make his junior varsity basketball team. As a result, he was asked to serve as the team manager. Now, as a high school senior, he serves in that same role for his high school's varsity basketball team.

During his team's last home basketball game, the coach asked him to suit-up. If the coach had a chance, he was going to get Jason into the game. Word spread that Jason could get the chance to enter the game, so the student body prepared signs with Jason's face. With a little over four minutes to go in the game, the coach entered Jason into the game.

The hope of all involved was for Jason to just make one shot. On his first attempt, he missed badly. But, with a little over three minutes left, he hit a three pointer. In the following three minutes, he went on to score an amazing 20 points as he made 6 three point shots and one additional basket. Each time his team came down the court, he continued to make his shots. The video is absolutely amazing. At the conclusion of the game, the student section rushed the court as the varsity team raised Jason above the crowd.

When the reporter started the coverage about Jason, he opened with this comment, "What we all want in life is a shot, but what we do with it, that's the story we all want to tell." As I think about Jason's story, I cannot help but relate it to my involvement with coaching baseball.

As a coach, I have two goals. First, I want to teach my players to perform and compete at the best of their ability as a team. Second, and most importantly, I want to teach my players how the game of baseball applies to life. When the time comes for my players to move on from our team, I do not want them walking away as just a better baseball player- I want them walking away as a better individual. I want each player to understand the importance of success as well as the ability to overcome adversity. I want each player ready for their shot in life.

I pray that none of my players experience this disease. But, if one of the boys were to be in this position in ten years, I can only hope that he'd be able to draw strength and confidence from the lessons he learned while on our team.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home