Thursday, February 23, 2006

So Sore

Surgery went well yesterday. Though, I think I need to start raising my expectations for levels of pain. This surgery has left my chest sore as well as my left shoulder. The incision to insert the port is the same size as the biopsy- around five inches. It is located just underneath the collar bone on the left side of my chest. Needless to say, sleeping did not go too well last night.

The port works different than what I initially understood. There is not a physical tube or object that sticks out of my chest. Instead, the port remains under the skin. When they administer chemo, an IV, or withdraw blood, they will insert a needle into the skin and thus into the port. (The pain is suppose to be like a bee sting.) In order to make the whole system work, the port is connected to a vein below the skin.

Similar to past experiences, I slept for a few hours upon arriving home from the hospital. However, I managed to eat a half of an egg sandwich as well as yogurt with oranges. (Take into consideration that it was near 3:00 in the afternoon and I had not been able to eat or drink since midnight of the previous evening).

Around 6:30, my mom woke me up. A producer from WBNS 10TV was on the phone asking for me. After picking up the phone, the producer congratulated me for being elected School Board President last month. Then, she mentioned that the station had news passed along to them regarding my battle with cancer. As we discussed the situation, the producer asked if she could send someone out to my house to do an interview for the 11 o'clock news. Although very sore, I agreed.

The producer sent Angela Pace, one of 10TV's anchors. Through the course of the past two years, Angela has reported on me during the evening broadcast- though we have never done an interview together. It was nice to meet her after watching her for so long. Beyond the cancer, she was interested to hear more about me and the reasons that I have become involved in the community. After nearly an hour, the interview ended. Even after the camera turned off, she stayed around talking with my parents. Already, I have met so many good, caring people as I journey through this process. Angela was as genuine and sincere as anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home