Friday, February 17, 2006

Not One, But Two

Ok, I am willing to admit that I am in pain today.

Thankfully, I was able to eat breakfast before today's procedure. If I am able to eat breakfast, I typically have a small bowl of corn flakes followed by some fruit. Anyways, we left the house around eight o'clock. My mom drove as I sat silently listening to my iPod. As I sat in the passenger seat, I felt like I was motivating myself for a big game. I was determined not to let the thought of a needle going through my bone get to me...

Once at the doctor's office, I had several routine tests performed. My weight was down to 165 from 166 earlier in the week. It is amazing how I continue to drop weight. It is scary to think that my weight will only continue to drop as chemo starts.

After going through the routine tests, I went back into room #1. A nurse came in to draw blood and start my IV. Initially, she wanted to perform these actions separately, which did not make sense. We quickly asked for them to just insert the IV, take the blood from the IV, and then administer my drugs for the day. After some discussion, the nurse agreed. It never hurts to ask a question.

Shortly following the IV, Dr. Moore came in to the room. In order for him to perform the procedure, he needed to stick a needle into two spots in the bone right above my butt. So, the nurse helped me turn over on the bed. By the time he entered the room, I was already feeling drowsy from the drugs. In order to ensure that I was definitely drowsy, he had the nurse insert an additional dosage of the narcotic into my IV.

Before starting this process, he explained that he would be extracting bone marrow from two places- not one. In order to numb up the area, he spread some cream on my skin. Then, he administered a shot to numb my bone. However, he explained that this would not numb the bone fully. So, the process began. He stuck the needle into my bone. Naturally, the bone gives resistance to the needle, so he had to twist and turn with the needle in order for it to fully enter the bone. It is not a delightful moment to feel that needle grinding away at the bone.

Yet, I do not know what hurt the worst- the needle entering or the needle leaving the bone. When it left the bone, it made a pulling sensation all the way down my left leg. Luckily, I did not have the pulling sensation when he worked on the right side of my body.

A funny moment occurred during the procedure. In order to take my mind off the process, I continued to listen to my iPod. As Dr. Moore drove the needle into the right side of my body, I had the oddest song start to play: "Jesus Loves Me" by country singer Bobby Pinson. While I continue to be strong to my faith, I found irony in the playing of the song while I was going through such pain.

Now, I am miserable as I lay in bed. Despite the two bandages, I am suppose to lay on my butt. There is such an overwhelming discomfort. This pain is much worse than the slice in my neck from the biopsy last week. In addition to the pain, the drugs left me with a terrible hangover. When I came home, I walked straight up to my room and passed out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home