Monday, February 13, 2006

Up Late

Typically, I try to go to bed around 9:30/10:00. My body just seems to be fatigued by this point in the evening. However, I am not lucky enough to sleep straight through the night. Often, I catch a few hours of sleep at a time. As a result, I get bored as can be when I wake up at this time in the morning (4:45). So, I have decided to designate this time for writing.

Today was similar to yesterday. I did not feel as bad through out the course of the day. Instead, I had one time tougher than the others. From 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., I was running a 100.6 temperature. (Whenever I get a fever, I am usually around the 101 mark.) I cannot begin to describe the feeling of relief when the fever breaks. I can actually feel it happening. Oddly enough, it is actually a high point in my day when it occurs.

After my fever broke, I was able to eat a little bit more. I have been told that I need to start eating more healthy, organic foods in anticipation of possible chemotherapy. I am starting to make a conscious effort. However, its pretty hard for me to do this for a couple of reasons. First, my natural love for sweets. And, second, my decreased appetite. Nonetheless, I was able to eat some spaghetti, a small piece of cheesecake, and some strawberries for dinner.

Luckily, I was able to go to bed comfortably this evening. It was not something forced by a fever. However, when I woke up around 1:30, my night sweats were driving me insane. My body was shaking like I was outside in the winter cold. All I could do was regroup my covers, cover myself up, and sleep the shakes away.

The word is getting out in the community. People wonder if I care if they pass on the news- and I am thankful for them respecting my privacy. If anything, I would encourage them to pass the news at this point. As I tell people, I know that I have not accomplished so much, so early in my life through my own human ability. God has been with me the whole way- even now. I feel confident that he put me in this position for a reason. My hope is that through my struggle I am able to bring further awareness to Hodgkin's disease as well as other cancer's.

As some of you may know, I have been coaching a travel baseball team in Dublin for the past two years. Today, I passed the news on to all the parents. I decided it would be best to break the news to the boys once a treatment plan was set in stone. Needless to say, these were some of my toughest phone calls. I truly enjoy my life in politics, but my true love is coaching. I feel like each boy on the team is a little brother. It is tough enough already missing practices, but it will be even tougher when I have to miss games. I am thankful for this group of parents as well as my dad and brother who are helping pick up my slack while I am down.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for their continual notes, thoughts, emails, prayers, etc.

" Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemed thy life from destruction; who crowned thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies."- Psalm 103:1-4

God Bless,
CV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home