Thursday, February 16, 2006

Informed and Empowered

So last evening, I finished It's Not About the Bike, My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong. Once I started reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. The book helped me on two levels. First, it was obviously inspirational. Second, it has helped me further develop an approach to become informed and empowered, so I can beat this disease. Anyways, I will continue to draw upon certain quotes and paragraphs from this book as this process continues forward.

"Anything's possible. You can be told you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight. By fight I mean arm yourself with all the available information, get second opinions, third opinions, and fourth opinions. Understand what has invaded your body, and what the possible cures are. It's another fact of cancer that the more informed and empowered patient has a better chance of long-term survival."

Before being diagnosed, I began researching Hodgkin's disease. Even before we had the results from the first x-ray, I told my mom that I had Hodgkin's disease. I remember talking to her on my cell late at night after my school board meeting. Naturally, she did not want to believe me. She countered with the fact that my blood results were all healthy and my physical exam did not detect any enlarged lymph nodes. However, what I knew (that she did not) was that Hodgkin's is often found through x-rays due to the lymph nodes being in locations that are undetecable through blood analysis or physical exams.

Since that diagnosis, I have not stopped researching this disease. I am approaching it similar to school board, coaching, politics, baseball, or anything else that I do in my life. If I am going to perform at my highest level, I need to prepare myself with all my energy. Short cuts are not an option.

This started with general research of the disease and spread to the testing and diagnosis process. Next, I began to look into possible treatment methods. I wanted to know the traditional methods as well as possible clinical trials. Similarly, I wanted to know the best way to approach this with my diet. What should I eat and what should I avoid eating? Even more, I started to look into notable doctors as well as specialty hospitals for the disease.

I will continue to look for more information and ask questions. As I go through each appointment or test, I continually talk with my nurses and doctors. I want to know the reason for each step or action during this process. I want to be informed and empowered to beat this disease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home