Monday, February 20, 2006

Finding Some Understanding

Since being diagnosed, I have not dwelled on the reason for having this disease. My attitude has been pretty simple and straightforward. This is a challenge- not necessarily a disease. And, like any challenge, I am doing my research and devising my game plan to win.

However, lately my thinking has changed. I have started to think about this as a disease. I have started to think about the reason that God has put me in this position. Like I have mentioned to many people, I feel confident that this has occurred for a purpose. But, at this point, I do not know that specific purpose. Maybe I will not know that specific purpose until weeks, months, or years from now, but I am going to continue to look to God for that guidance.

Today, I had a conversation with one of my former teachers, Jim Hull. During the course of our talk, we discussed the possible reasons for me being inflicted with this disease. We threw out many hypotheticals. It was interesting to discuss why this occurred at one of the highest points in my life. Just weeks after becoming the School Board President, the disease started taking over my health. Was it just mere coincidence? Or, did I come into my position on the Board for a bigger reason?

Shortly after entering this process, I received the book "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On" from a family friend. I want to end this post with a passage that reflects my thoughts right now.

"If you are at a place in your life where you feel like you can't take one step without the Lord's help, be glad. He has you where He wants you. If you're wondering, 'Have I done something wrong?' the answer is most likely, 'No, you've done something right.' God has you on this path, no matter how difficult and impossible it may seem right now, because you are willing to follow Him. He wants to accomplish great things through you that can only come out of a life of faith. He wants your undivided attention because you can't do these things on your own. The path is not a punishment; it's a privilege. It's not a restriction; it's a reward."


A man's heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home