Sunday, March 12, 2006

Perseverance

If you wanted to know how I am feeling, I would tell you to ask my baseball players. I am sure that they would tell you I was doing just well right now. They have heard me loud and clear over the past two days. I have been back in regular form at practices. Instead of sitting on a chair on the side, I have been hitting ground balls, moving around the gym, and constantly talking with my boys.

Besides baseball, I took the weekend easy. I am always cautious with my body. Lately, I have experienced fatigue from time to time during the day. Usually, I am pretty tired by the evening. More than ever, I realize the importance of a good nights sleep. For the first time in several Sundays, I felt well. I was hoping to attend the 9:30 church service with my mom, but I slept straight through it. Now, I will probably have to wait a couple Sundays for my next chance.

My next chemotherapy treatment occurs on Thursday. Last time, I received treatment on a Wednesday. I am trying to figure out the best day to receive treatment with my schedule. Eventually, I would like to find the day that allows me to work a little and continue coaching. At this point, I am wondering if my body will react the same way to the next treatment. Fortunately, my next treatment coincides with the start of the NCAA tournament. At least I will have something good to watch on TV.

Over the course of the weekend, I read an excellent book- The Miracle of St. Anthony. A journalist followed a small catholic high school basketball team based in Jersey City, New Jersey. The school is set in one of the worst parts of Jersey City and run by two nuns. Students attending the school come from the worst of the worst backgrounds. Over the past twenty five years, the coach has led the school to over twenty state championships. But, more importantly, the coach takes boys off the streets, preaches academics, and teaches them to play basketball as a team. Through tough love and coaching, he uses the game of basketball to teach the boys lessons in life and develop them into men.

Finally, I mentioned that I would comment further on the book of James. In his writing, James discusses the idea that God can use suffering for our benefit. James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

During my moments of pain, I am not thinking that the suffering will be to my benefit. I am not thinking that I will be a stronger person in the future. Pain is pain. Chemotherapy sucks. But, its necessary to rid myself of this disease. I believe James is telling us to find joy in the results of the trials, not in the trials themselves. Even difficult times can produce good qualities, such as patience and perseverance. James 1:12 goes further saying, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home