Thursday, March 16, 2006

Counts too Low

When I got to the doctors office, I had my blood drawn. Now that I have been poked like a pin cushion, I am not even phased by needles. Eventually, I was told that my white cell count was too low to receive chemotherapy today. I was at .8, and I needed to at least be at 1.0. As a result, I get treatment next Thursday.

For now on, I receive a shot the day after each treatment to boost my white cell counts. The doctor said this was not a big deal. It occurs to over fifty percent of Hodgkins patients. When I asked about the shot, he referred to it as the "money shot." I guess its an expensive shot. Nonetheless, I should not experience anymore delays with my treatment due to these shots.

In the grand scheme of things, it only moves things back a week. I cannot say that I am disappointed not to feel like crap the whole weekend! Even better, it helps with my baseball schedule. It gives me the chance of feeling better during some important dates.

Lastly, I had the chance to step on the scale. Again, my goal was to stay above 160. As she moved the weights, I landed right on 161. I could not help but think that the cheeseburger and sundae put me over my goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home