Friday, March 24, 2006

Good News and Bad News

I am nervous. Last week, Dr. Moore said that I would likely experience my worst symptoms in the days immediately following my chemotherapy. If you remember, I experienced a delay last time around- days three and four were the worst. So far, I have just felt experienced that "ugh" feeling along with some tired spells. Sooner than later, I know that burning sensation in my mouth will be back.

This morning, my mom woke me up by letting the dogs jump on the bed. From the tone of her voice, I could tell that she had some good news. She had been on the phone discussing my x-ray results with the nurse from Dr. Moore's office. The images showed that my port seemed to be fully in tact (more to come on that later). By chance, the images were also able to show the tumors in my chest. Already, the masses have decreased from just one treatment!

After receiving my neulasta shot, I went next door to the office of the Doctor Paul, who has performed all of my surgeries. He was not working today, so I saw another doctor from the office. It turns out that I have a localized, surface infection over the incision where he inserted my port. It is possible that the infection could be below the skin. As a result, it could be causing the problem with my port. We are suppose to monitor the infection over the weekend. Next week, I may be headed back into surgery to remove the port out of the left side of my chest and insert a new one on the right side of my chest. I know it sounds bad, but at this point, I just find this comical.

Last time, I had trouble eating after my treatment. However, this time around, I am not having as much trouble. On the way home from the hospital, I got a tuna sub from Subway. Later in the afternoon, Mrs. Schultz (Griffin's mom) stopped by with smoothies from Planet Smoothie. She was over by Polaris, so she made a stop for me. (Again, I could not be more thankful for the support and thoughtfulness of everyone!) Anyways, I had two smoothies this afternoon. For dinner, I managed to eat a couple pieces of pizza. I am about to get some carrots and vegetable dip.

Tomorrow, I think I am going to take the plunge and just shave my head clean. My hair is not falling out as quickly as it was last week, but sooner than later, its going to be bare. My hair cutter will be leaving town for spring break this week, so I figure I will have her do the honors before leaving town tomorrow. This should be a sight to see!

The Lord watches over you
The Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm-
he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.
Psalm 121:5-8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home