Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Don't Stay Up Too Late!"

So, before my mom goes to bed tonight, she walks into my room and says, "Don't stay up too late!" I looked at her sarcastically and replied, "Yeah, good idea- because its not like I am going to be sleeping for the next couple of days!" There really is not much preparation for chemotherapy.

Today was exhausting. I have not really pushed my limits over the past couple of weeks, but today was close.

First, my day started off on a high note. This morning, I met with a representative from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for coffee at the Starbucks at Easton. After talking for a little while, we went back to his office. Wednesday is the designated day for their staff meeting, so I had the chance to meet all the employees and discuss their roles. In addition, we spent a little while talking about my position on the school board as well as my goals to help raise awareness and dollars. As I walked away from the office, I felt motivated. I had just left a room full of people who have committed their lives to helping cancer patients and survivors like me. Even more, a majority of the employees were no older than their late 20's.

After my meeting at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I stopped in at work (for 2006)- The Ohio Republican Party. As usual, it was nice to catch up with folks. Most of my correspondence happens through email or AOL instant messenger, so folks were happy just to see me. It had been a few weeks since my last visit. By chance, Ken Mehlman, the Chairman of the Republican National Committee, is in town this week. He was the campaign manager for Bush/Cheney 2004 and constantly appears on television to speak on behalf of the party. Nonetheless, as I entered the building, he was coming down the stairs for a press conference. One of my bosses introduced me to him, and we talked for a couple of minutes. Inevitably, someone mentioned my situation with Hodgkin's Disease, so I am sure that he will remember me as the young-looking guy with cancer.

After talking with Chairman Mehlman, I talked with our RNC Regional Coordinator, Anne Hathaway. Since being diagnosed, Anne has been extremely supportive with my situation. As a young 20 something in Ohio, I could have never imagined folks back in D.C. taking note of my battle. Politics does not stop. It is a busy, crazy life. Still, I have learned that situations like mine bring perspective. Last year, she went through a similar situation with her father. Anne and I talked for a good fifteen minutes about the past few weeks. At a couple of points, I could see her tearing up. It is hard to explain, but you draw strength from caring people like Anne.

Finally, my night concluded with a school board meeting. As much as possible, I try to keep politics and school board out of my writing. The Columbus Monthly is continuing their article on me. Tonight, they sent a photographer. Through out the course of the beginning of the meeting, I felt like I was at a photo shoot. The flash of the camera was going off constantly. Do not get me wrong, I am thankful and appreciative that the Columbus Monthly has decided to do a piece on me. But, it was a humorous. I felt like the paparazi was after me.

Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you.
Psalm 55:22

2 Comments:

Blogger anonymous jones said...

Hi, your blog was on 'recently updated'! I'm in Australia and here the disease you have is quite well known since gorgeous Delta Goodrem had it and beat it. It's great to see you asking God for help, too. I will say a prayer for you myself.

anonymous-jones.blogspot

12:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here I was feeling sorry for myself. I quit smoking today and have all the side effects that go with it. It just seems so trivial now. I hope you get better soon. You will be in our prayers.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home