Monday, April 10, 2006

Back from Cincy

Well, this weekend was eventful.

Just to give you a little background, I helped put together a "Midwest Super League" with the coach from another team in Columbus. The purpose of the league was to challenge our teams against the best competition from surrounding cities and states. During our season, we travel to Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Then, we host teams from Michigan and Kentucky.

I would rather my boys get challenged against better competition than beat up on team's on a lower level from the area. All in all, it was our fourth and fifth days outside this spring. I did not expect us to be so rusty, but it seemed to be the case. We made too many errors and mental mistakes. Even worse, we were plagued by injuries the whole weekend.

First, we played the Cincinnati Spikes. They had a few kids who rivaled me in size! We lost the first game 14-0. Then, we lost the second game 15-14. Today, we lost to the Cincy Flames 6-5 and 11-7. The boys definitely played better the second day.

On a side note, I managed to get ejected for the first time in my career (it occurred during our second game). I am not the type of coach to get in an umpire's face. As most of you know, I am not very confrontational. In order for me to get fired up, something big has too happen. Well, we had an umpire about my age (who thought too much of himself). He made two terrible calls. After each call, I did not raise my voice. I walked up to the umpire to express my "dissatisfaction" with his repeated mistakes. His justification for his mistakes kept changing as we were talking. Finally, I walked away and said "We came down here for this?" ... well, that was enough to earn me a spot on the sidelines.

Now, I am sure that many of you are obviously wondering about my health. Saturday was a little tough. The weather was nice for the first game, but it got a little chilly in the second game. As usual, the biggest pain came from my mouth. The sores were at their worst yesterday. I managed to chew enough gum and drink enough liquids to dull the pain. During our first game, I coached third base. However, I sat on the bucket and let my dad coach third during the second game. Today, I felt much better. Usually, I start to go uphill on day five.

To be honest, I have found the biggest remedy for my pain is simply being around the team. It just helps keep my mind off the treatment as well as pass the time. My mom worries about me when I am coaching. She just wants to make sure that I am not overdoing myself. I guess it is that motherly instinct. While she cannot be replaced, I have more than enough mothers from the baseball team watching over me. I could not be more thankful. They continue to make sure that I have food, liquids, or anything else that I may need to feel well.

Well, I have more updating to do... I will take some time tomorrow to write an entry during the day as well as the evening. Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers!

My biggest challenge usually comes after coaching. As you can imagine, my energy level drops, and I tend to fall asleep very quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home