Thursday, April 06, 2006

I am doing just fine

I apologize for not writing over the past few days. I had no idea that people would get so worried when my writing did not appear. Rest assured, I am doing just fine.

Just so you know, I have been doing very well. In fact, I actually felt normal again starting last Thurday through my chemo treatment on Wednesday. Again, let me stress that I felt normal. It was probably the best I have felt in the past 3 months.

Because I felt so well, I did not write much. I do not know if this makes sense, but when I write, it is a reminder of my battle. During those good days, I just tried to live a normal life again. Cancer is a part of my life. It will forever be a part of my life, but I just wanted to experience some days without thinking about my situation. And, it felt great.

Baseball season has started. We scrimmaged the past couple of days. The boys have started out rusty, but we will come around. This weekend, we are headed down to Cincinnati to play two of the best teams at our age level from that area. I am not worried about wins and losses as much as I am worried about the boys not making mental mistakes and beating themselves. I will update you when we get back.

As a coach, I wear my heart on my sleeve. Just like anything, I strive for perfection when coaching. At times, I can do too much yelling and give too little constructive criticism. Already, I can tell how my battle with cancer has changed my perspective. For one reason or another, I am not getting upset with small mistakes. Last year, I may have become angered. This year, my mind just seems to be working slower. Instead of getting upset with a player, I am looking to understand the thoughts in his head. I am looking to help him understand what he needs to do to improve or correct a mistake. Do not get me wrong- prior to this season, I cared about the well-being and improvement of every one of my players. At the same time, I cared quite a bit about the outcome of the game. Now, I think I care even more about the well-being and continual improvement of every one of my players- and quite a bit less about the outcome.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home