Thursday, April 13, 2006

Can't Complain

The past couple of days have been relaxing. After three treatments, I have found that my best days occur during this point in the off week. These are the days I feel normal again- or, should I say, at least a taste of normalcy.

As you can imagine, I think a thought of different thoughts. Lately, I have been wondering if a stranger could pick me out of a crowd as someone who is afflicted by cancer. Obviously, I do not look at myself, so I really do not know my appearance. After I beat this disease, I wonder how it will effect the way I look at other people. I do not mean this from a critical standpoint, but from the perspective of identifying cancer patients.

Lately, people have been telling me that my "color" looks much better. I did not really notice a difference in my color until the television interviews. Once I saw myself on television, I realized how ghostly I looked during January and early February. The days are so much better now.

Last night, the boys notched their first victory. We defeated one of the better local teams 7-0. Although we are still missing a couple of players, the team was able to pull through with each boy playing his role. Unlike this past weekend, we played good defense and made far fewer mental mistakes.

While it sounds corny, I almost feel as if this year will be a story book season. First, my health situation occurs. Then, we have boys going down to injuries, and boys are playing out of position. Next, we start the season off 0-4 with some hard losses. Now, we are starting our climb. Nonetheless, the boys are learning important lessons about the game and more importantly, life.

Lastly, I wanted to end on a note about the opposing teams from around the area. Over the past couple of years, I have made some great friendships with players, parents, and coaches from our opposing teams. Since being diagnosed, they have all been extremely supportive. So far, each of the coaches have gone out of their way to talk with me before pregames. I have even had players come up to me after games and tell me that they are praying for me. Again, it has been overwhelming.

Well, last night, another special moment occurred. Over the past few years, I have coached a fall baseball team. Typically, I combine some of my boys with players from surrounding teams. For two years, I have coached the coach's son from the team we played last night. His grandfather shows up to every one of his grandson's games. Typically, he sits right behind the back stop to watch the game. As I was walking back and forth during the game, I stopped to chat. After the game, he waited around until all of the boys and parents cleared the park. As I walked back to my car, I saw him standing in front of me. We began to talk. Before I could get too far into the conversation, he gave me a big hug and said that he was praying for me. It is humbling to know that my well-being can mean so much to people. Good people make life worth living.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed."
Isaiah 55:8-13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home