Thursday, June 15, 2006

Treatment and the Day After

So, Casey dropped me off at the hospital yesterday morning around 8:30. (I got him an internship at the lobbying firm, and my mom I had to go into work early). Anyways, around 8:45, we come to find out that they do not have my appointment down for the day. As you can imagine, I did not have too big of a problem with the possibility of rescheduling... say for another few weeks down the road! Well, they ended up telling me to come in around 1:30 for treatment.

So, let me give you the scenario. I did not drive. My mom had some work to do at the hospital. By the time we would have gone back and forth from the hospital to our home, it would have been a waste of time. So, we wound up getting some breakfast. Afterwards, my mom let me sleep in a physician waiting room for a couple of hours. Around 1:15, I went over for my treatment. Well, I took another hour or so before I actually started my treatment.

By the time my treatment ended, we were running right up to the baseball team's pregame warm ups for the evening. We had one of our toughest opponents for the first game, the Olentangy Braves. For one reason another, the boys seem to be playing without enthusiasm and intensity lately. Well, we gave up 5 runs in the first inning, mostly due to a lack of execution and using our brains. The first inning carried over into a couple of the following innings. I do not think I have ever been so upset during my coaching career. This is such a talented group of boys, but they just do not realize their potential at times. Somehow, someway... the boys managed to pick it up mid-way through the game. As poorly as we started the game, we ended it just as well. After tieing the game in the 5th inning, we held the Braves in the top of the 6th and managed to win the game in bottom of the 6th. If it were not for the great comeback, the boys would have had a heck of a speech at the end!!!

Today, I have been relaxing in bed. I do not feel terrible- just the typical lack of energy and blah feeling. If I had to point one bad thing out, it would be the burning of my eyes. My doctor prescribed me some eye drops, but they still burn quite a bit. Just the little inconveniences. My mom laughs at my odd food cravings during chemo. She compares me to a pregnant woman. Today, my cravings led me to salads with ranch dressing, drumsticks (ice cream), and a cold Bud Light. It is too strange to explain or even comprehend!

My grandparents came into town today. This is the first time they have seen me since being diagnosed. Typically, they live down in Florida through the winter and then spend most of their time in Ohio and West Virginia during the spring and summer.

Well, I am being somewhat active for the rest of the week- health cooperating. Tomorrow, I am going to the Dublin Relay for Life Event from 6:00-7:00. I will eat dinner with the group, and then give a short speech at the opening ceremonies (since I am the honorary chair). Then, we have a baseball tournament this weekend in Upper Arlington. On Saturday, we have games at 9:00 and 3:00. At night, I am going to a celebration party for Alex, my friend I met in the chemo room. He had his final treatment two weeks ago. Then, I will pick up with baseball again on Sunday.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ougrad said...

Chris,
I read about you in Columbus Monthly, and I am so impressed. I too am a Dublin graduate, and I am amazed by how far you've gotten in life - you're even four years younger than me!
You are in my thoughts and prayers - take care.
Best,
Alissa

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home