Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Live Like You Were Dying"

As I was standing at the Tim McGraw and Faith Hill concert on Friday, I realized that one of Tim's popular songs, "Like Like You Were Dying," would likely be performed. Prior to the concert, I did not put much thought into the actual songs likely to be sung. However, as the song began at the concert, I found myself almost floating. I felt removed from the moment.

Originally, I did not like the song too much when it was played on the radio. Like most songs, it became over played. In the process, I did not think too much about the meaning of the lyrics. While standing in the crowd, I started to sing along with the lyrics- and think about their meaning in my life. I would be lieing if I didn't say that I got goosebumps. These were no longer just words. These were emotions and feelings that I have been experiencing. Words that once seemed so cliche-like and corny now hit home.

When you are a young 20-something, you typically do not think about life and death. Typically, you do not have to think about the number of good days and number of bad days you will have in the span of two weeks. Typically, you do not have to worry about having enough energy to perform an activity for more than a few hours at a time. Typically, you do not realize the value of just being able to function like a normal human being.

For one reason or another, my life took another turn over the past few months. People say they are sorry to hear that I have been diagnosed with this disease. In some ways, it almost seems like they are offering me an apology. I am thankful for their thoughts. But, maybe I am lucky. Maybe this temporary setback will help set the tone for the rest of my life. Maybe, this temporary setback will help me experience so much more with each day going forward.

He said I was in my early 40's,
With a lot of life before me,
And a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
I spent most of the next days,
lookin' at the x-rays,
Talkin' 'bout the options and talkin' 'bout sweet time.
Asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end.
How's it hit ya, when you get that kind of news.
Man what ya do.
And he says,

I went sky divin',
I went rocky mountain climbin',
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fumanchu.
And I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying,
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'.

He said I was finally the husband,
That most the time I wasn't.
And I became a friend a friend would like to have.
And all the sudden goin' fishing,
Wasn't such an imposition.
And I went three times that year I lost my dad.
Well I finally read the good book,
And I took a good long hard look at what I'd do
If I could do it all again.
And then.

Like tomorrow was a gift and you've got eternity
To think about what you do with it,
What could you do with it,
what can I do with with it, what would I do with it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home