Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It's just chemo

Well, round four is complete. Now, I just have to figure out how to pass the time. I cannot wait until Sunday. The coast starts to clear at that point. I do not feel terrible the day of my treatment and the day after. I would describe the feeling as having a heavy head. It is a mix of a headache and a blah feeling. Also, my sweat swells terrible after chemo. Once I got home, I took a shower to get rid of the smell.

Unfortunately, the office was busy this morning, so my treatment did not start until around 10:30. (I was scheduled for 9:00.) Anyways, the treatment went well. They were even able to draw blood from my port at one point. For the first time, I managed to sleep through a part of the treatment. I think I was out a good forty-five minutes. I woke up when the nurses were finally able to get blood from my port. They woke me up- all a part of an ongoing inside joke.

Once my treatment finished, my mom and I grabbed lunch at the Columbus Fish Market. For some reason, I have been eating fish quite a bit lately. Thankfully, I was able to get some food in me.

My last event for the day ended at the elementary school in Pickerington. Like I mentioned in my last post, I was not sure what to expect of my speech. First, I was not sure how my health would hold up. Second, I did not have anything rehearsed or planned. The event was held outside with over 800 students and 40 staff members or so. After being introduced, I talked about my diagnosis. Then, I related my situation to that of students who had family members or friends diagnosed. After making the situation relate to the students, I mentioned that treatment has gotten better over the years, but we still need to do more. I told them that their efforts will go a long way towards not only creating better treatments but helping find a cure. All in all, it was a good event. The students responded as I asked them questions. I tried my best to get their attention and make the speech interactive.

Once I got home, I spent the rest of the day and evening resting in bed. If we had baseball, I would have been fine to run a practice or game. Since I have down time, I am going to do my best to rest up for the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home