Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Day before Chemo

It is that time of the month again... chemo. People ask me if I dread my chemo treatments. To be honest, I do not think about it much. I think I would only make my situation worse by dwelling on each treatment. If all goes well, tomorrow could mark the half-way point in my chemo treatments. Around the middle of July, I will undergo scans again to check my progress. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if I have to do an additional month to two months of chemo, but like I tell everyone, I am taking things day by day. I will continue to remain strong to my faith and take each day as it comes.

Tonight, the boys notched another victory. We scored on the other team early, but allowed 8 runs in the 2nd inning to make the score 10-8 in favor of our opponents. However, the boys brought the bats with them tonight. We managed to scored an additional 18 runs to beat the opposing team 26-10. During the last inning, I stopped having our runners advance around the bases and score. All in all, we had 26 hits. It was a great offensive game. Still, the 8 runs that we allowed were due to mental lapses and poor defense. As always, there is room to improve.

After my treatment tomorrow, I am going to speak to an elementary school in Pickerington. Like I mentioned before, the school is holding a mini Relay-for-Life to benefit the American Cancer Society. I have been asked to speak about receiving treatment and still being active. The parent organizing the event wants me to help dispel the myth that all cancer patients are chained down to a bed in a hospital. I haven't prepared a speech. I am only speaking for five minutes, so it will not be too hard or exhausting. I will likely spend some time thinking about my words tomorrow during chemo. When I speak about my situation, I do not want my words to be orchestrated. I want them to come from the heart. I think this method is the best.

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one as well as the other...
Ecclesiastes 7:14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home